Thursday, December 3, 2009

How to figure the percentage that you are saving!

I have been teaching people that if I do not save at least 60% on the item then I do not think it is a good enough deal to stock up on.  I have had a few people ask how I figure out what percent I am saving so I will try to explain.  When you are looking at the item in the store and it is normally priced $4.00 then after the sale and coupon that you are using, the item would need to be $1.60 or less.  To get this you take $4.00 x 40% which equals $1.60.  You times it by 40% so that tells you what the price needs to be to save at least 60%.  If the price after sales and coupons is higher then $1.60 then you are not saving 60%.  If it is lower then you are saving more then 60%.

Now this is how you figure it out for your whole bill.  
It is your total savings divided by TOTAL spent before savings.

Total Out of Pocket including taxes 19.12

Total Saved 266.26 (found at the bottom of Albertson's receipt or for Smith's you have to add them up: it says you saved a percent but it doesn't include all the savings)

Here's how I did it

266.26 saved + 19.12 oop Total spent=285.35

226.26 (saved) divided by 285.38 (total spent)=.079

You saved 79%

No comments:

Post a Comment